Who doesn’t love shortbread? Add a little icing to the top and not only are they festive but downright delicious! Here’s my favourite recipe for these crowd pleasing treats!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup icing / powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- pinch salt
- 2 cups flour
- 3 ounces pasteurized egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Food Colouring as desired
- Beat butter until creamy
- Sift icing sugar, corn starch, salt and flour several times to ensure it’s well mixed
- Add sugar mix to creamed butter a little at a time and turn a wooden spoon
- Once it’s a big clump you can’t stir anymore it’s time to move the dough lightly floured flat surface and knead until mixture cracks slightly – don’t overwork the dough!
- Pat gently to 1/3″ thickness
- Cut out cookies with your favourite cutters
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, lined with parchment and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, do not let them brown
- Let cool on cookie sheets as transferring to a cooling rack is tricky
- In a large mixing bowl combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is blended and mixture is shiny
- Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks. This will take a while about 5-7 minutes
- Transfer icing into smaller bowls to quickly add individual food colouring, I recommend using your beater to ensure colour uniformity
- For immediate use transfer icing to pastry bags or Ziploc bag with a small cut corner (the budget icing bag!) and pipe as desired
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days