It’s a cruel trick of nature that some of the most beautiful, colorful springtime plants pose a deadly temptation to the four-legged members of your family. Some pets will leave house plants alone and others are quick to munch on leaves. In the case of cats there are few safe locations since they can climb to any surface. In most cases dogs are protected simply by keeping these plants out of reach.

Many lilies are toxic including: Tiger lily, Asiatic lily, Stargazer lily, Day lily, Japanese Show lilly, Easter lily. It is the leaves, flowers or stems of these lilies which will cause an adverse reaction.  In most situations, symptoms of poisoning will develop within six to 12 hours of exposure. Early signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. Symptoms worsen as kidney failure develops. Pets may experience disorientation, staggering and seizures. The effects of lily poisoning are much more severe in cats than dogs.  Other toxic Easter flowers include the bulbs of Hyacinth or Tulips or all parts of Hydrangea or Daffodil plants. If you notice any of the symptoms in your pet take them to the vet immediately. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, administering drugs like activated charcoal (to bind the poison in the stomach and intestines), intravenous fluids, and monitoring of kidney function.

Another danger to four legged friends would be Easter Grass, this stringy material is often stuffed into decorative Easter Baskets. It can become anchored around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it unable to pass through the intestines. It can result in severe damage to the intestinal tract, often requiring expensive surgery!

Keep your pets safe this holiday season by keeping these plants and decor safely out of reach.

 

Shopping Cart
0